It includes influencers in design, politics, business and media including Zaha Hadid, Amanda Levete, Sir John Pawson, Boris Johnson, Nigel Coates, Sir Terence Conran, Sir John Sorrell, Tom Dixon, David Adjaye, Marc Newson, Martino Gamper, Deyan Sudjic and many more.
Highlighting London’s reputation as a world creative capital, the Festival annually offers a unique blend of over 200 events and activities taking place in the capital including international exhibitions, design launches, installations, talks and seminars, receptions, private views and parties – all reflecting London’s place at the heart of the international design community.
Unique talks, tours, studio visits and behind the scenes access from 2012 include:
- Tour of designer Martino Gamper and artist Francis Upritchard’s studio.
- Launch of designer Michael Anastassiade’s new showroom as he unveiled his new ‘melting’ mirrors collection, inspired by the cycles of the new and full moon.
- Private lunch with Michelin star Chef Nuno Mendes at the global unveiling of Electrolux Grand Cuisine.
- Forum and showcase of sound in design at Arts Co HQ, led by Martyn Ware, one of the leading figures in electric music in the UK.
- Rolf Sachs introduced his visually arresting installation at the V&A’s rarely seen Henry Cole Staircase. Primary coloured ink drops, released by lab-like instruments, soared through the atrium before falling into a vast tank of illuminated liquid to create explosive, transient clouds of ever changing shapes and colours.
Image credit: Walk the Light by Dominic Harris, V&A, 2012